Saturday, April 11, 2009

Final Reflection (Post #7)

Time flies and it is time for some reflections before this semester comes to an end. Looking back, I have gained much invaluable knowledge on effective communication in this course and the opportunities given to apply these skills during project work and blogging have enhanced my understanding.

Through this module, I am exposed to varied aspects of communication, other than the significance of non-verbal cues and establishing of good impression which I have highlighted in my first post. While I still believe that good dressing and favourable non-verbal cues would help to establish a good impression, I have learnt that it takes more than observing social etiquette to achieve effective communication.

The interesting stories shared on intercultural conflict have dawned on me the significance of understanding cultural differences. While working on the group project, it had occurred to me that it is crucial to communicate well to prevent potential pitfalls and the importance of understanding issues from others’ perspective. In the process of preparing and giving a formal presentation, I have learnt of ways to convey my message in a persuasive and succinct manner. In addition, I have learnt to write effective resumes and the suitable writing approaches for application letters and formal report. I believe valuable skills would definitely come in handy in future.

On reflection, there is definitely a lot of room for improvement in my language and presentation skills. Hence, I relish this opportunity for me to practise them and note my weaknesses so as to make improvements.

Lastly, I would like to thank Ms Happy Goh for her guidance and all fellow classmates for your encouragements, blog comments and company in this learning journey.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jie Li,

    Great insightful reflection. It is true that this module has imparted several invaluable skills to us. Not only this lessons help help to communicate better but, also helps us to prevent or solve any interpersonal conflicts; creating a peaceful and harmonious environment for us espeically in the workforce.I am glad that this module has helped you improve your language and presentation skills.

    Your posts throughout the course has really been enjoyable to read...Wish you all the best for your upcoming exams!:)

    Cheers,
    Rathi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jie Li,
    As your blog buddy, I have been following your blog and admired much for your good writing.

    Right at the ice-breaking session in our 1st class, you gave me a favorable impression of being nice and approachable. =p
    Glad that we all gained invaluable skills from this course. As you reflected, it takes more than observing social etiquette to achieve effective communication. I can tell, through the limited interaction with you, that you are a girl displaying good etiquettes. Apart from making the other party comfortable, one should also be able to convey his/her message which sometimes may not be so pleasant. And I believe you now can much better handle situations like you described in Resolving Interpersonal Conflict post.

    Lastly, all the best for your finals; and hopefully the economy recovers as soon as possible and the job outlook for us maths students will bounce back when we graduate next year.

    Cheers,
    Nie Jing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments! =) All the best for upcoming exams!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jie Li,

    I am very glad to meet a girl like you, kind, patient and friendly. You have make a great achievement in your communication skills.

    I come to this class not only for learing from the lecturer, but also for learning from you guys, the local students. I always think that I am so lucky that we are project groupmates. Talking with a guy whose English is not so good, like me, you never express your impatience, but alway listen and try to correct his language mistakes. In this way, you are my teacher. Indeed, you are a great communicator.

    All the best!

    Regards,
    Chen Zhi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jie li,

    I can see your sincerity in this final post here. This module is not as easy as it seems, in any case, I’m glad we had finally made it through all the deadlines, and I’m sure all of us had gained something in the process. Given the short semester time and for a subject that needs time to practice and to inculate it into a habit such as communication, I must say this module is pretty good already. At the very least, all of us learn to write a resume, something a graduating student must know.

    I was thinking your presentation was not bad. You looked composed and kept a smile throughout. I can probably take a leave out of your book. =)

    Lastly, may those things you have learn here brings you to greater heights. All the best!

    Regards,
    wanyee

    ReplyDelete